Sunday, September 2, 2007

Playing Games?

After one date, I believe I have met what can only be termed as my soul mate. Intellectually, I know how cheesy that sounds, but that is the only way I can describe it. Our energies vibrate off each other in a way that is both emotionally grounded and lusciously sexy at the same time.

I have always played dating games. Always. And this time, I’ve decided not to. This terrifies me! I grew up on the East Coast, and I think West Coast women underestimate the importance of a man choosing to come to you. Games are just a way of taking a step back so that the man can come to you and find the distance that he wants, and in coming to you, he realizes if he cares for you.

And yet, with this man, I’ve decided not to. Several of my vanilla girlfriends have chewed me out for this—saying I absolutely cannot risk that with this man I claim to care about. But here’s the thing: This is the first man I’ve met in my 37 years that just opened me up and I was able to let go of all my self-consciousness, and all the ways I try to present myself in public. I was just how I really am, not who I try to pretend to be. And we just resonated with each other. I can’t expect to have that vital, centered and alive energy if I play games with him.

So I’m letting go of that entire dance of not returning phone calls when I want to and what not. But, I’ve decided on one single game, which is that I’m going to assume that he is my soul mate. This means, I’m not going to ask for reassurances. I’m going to let him set the pace, and I’m going to give him all the space he needs, because I know we are meant to be together. It will work out. I just need to give it room to breathe; I believe we will work.

No comments: