Sunday, April 3, 2011

100 Easy Ways to Lose a Man....

Once again, I managed to get into an argument with a guy that I liked because I was "right" and he was "wrong." Of course, I was right and he was wrong. Nancy Pelosi is the house minority leader. And as he was complaining that the Democrats kicked Pelosi out of a leadership position because they lost seats in the house, I heard myself say to myself 'Connie--really, what do you have to gain by arguing this point.' And yet, I couldn't help myself. But here's the thing: if I just said "oh, gee, you're right. That's awful that they kicked her out" instead of "well, she did get demoted to house minority leader, but you couldn't expect the Republicans to vote for her as their leader" then I wouldn't be me. I tried playing dumb for years, and it worked for maybe a month, and then I'd start to get really mad at the guy because he thought I was dumb. Gee, I wonder where he got that idea? Maybe I shouldn't be mad at the poor guy for not seeing through my act, but I am a pretty good actress. I came to the conclusion that I couldn't actually expect to sustain a relationship with a guy that I had to pretend to be dumb for. But.... I have to wonder if it is only in the movies that the "sharp, intellectual kind" of girl finds a guy. 93 ways to go....

No comments: