Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Breaking up (with dad) is hard (or impossible) to do

So, I'm still trying to figure out the dad-situation.

I'm writing him a long e-mail that basically has an ultimatum at the end:  shut the fuck up about being 'genuine' and balance that with kindness, or else I don't want to have much of a relationship with you.

I'm saying it nicer than that.  But it is incredibly scary.

I've been talking with the family-shrink about this and she said "why don't you say what you want instead of what you don't want"  and I couldn't say what I want to him, because what I want from him seems so unlikely.  And I'm not going to give him an ultimatum for what I want, but I will set boundaries for what is not acceptable.

But what I want from him:  I want him to cherish me.  I want him to take my feelings into account and try not to hurt me.

And that makes me cry because it doesn't seem like such a crazy thing for a girl to want from her daddy.  Or even a woman to want from her dad.  And yet, it seems crazy.

No comments: