Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Taming of the Shrew

So, I got to celebrate my birthday properly, giving black Friday a new meaning.

Sometimes, it feels like there is a little animal in my heart or soul.  Sometimes it feels like a bird, beating her wings against a cage, or a little shrew, running around, desperate for direction.

When a man, say Nate, grabs my hair and whispers in my ear, my soul calms.  It is like this giant sigh of recognition of where I am, and I breathe deeper and the tension of all my life just melts.

Nate and I were fooling around, and he grabbed my hair and I whispered: "I need to be tamed."  And he said "I will tame you. Do you need to be broken?" And I said "NO!" And then asked, later, when we weren't fooling around, if 'breaking' was something that he wanted and he enthusiastically proclaimed that he was not looking for someone to break.

Last night, he read his daughter to sleep with The Little Prince." When I woke up this morning, this was waiting in my e-mail. 
What does that mean-- 'tame'?""It is an act too often neglected," said the fox. "It means to establish ties.""'To establish ties'?""Just that," said the fox. "To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you, I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world..."   
This taming thing has promise
 Wow.  Did I melt!!!  How absolutely lovely!  How well he understood what it meant to me.

And I realized, we've started to establish ties.


No comments: