Sunday, November 9, 2014

Laughter and loss

Due to the craziness of tangents, I watched Robin Williams.
I watched this back when it came out, but after he killed himself, I watched some of his things to cry, but not to laugh.  I couldn't laugh.  But today I watched and laughed and laughed and laughed.  And then I watched Live from the Met.  And laughed some more.

The desire for permanence is so great.  But even knowing how much pain he was in, I'm so glad we have his amazing work. When I saw "Live from the Met" (on VHS!)--I didn't know I could laugh that hard. But I also didn't know you could say a lot of things he said. I'd never heard anyone talk like that before. But in addition to the swearing and sex, there was also such profound vulnerability and humanity.  His willingness to talk about his short-comings gave me permission to look at my own (when I was a teenager--I'm sure something would have, but it was Robin Williams for me.)

Laughter is so powerful.  It really does heal whatever. At least for most of us. I'm doing OK.

No comments: