Monday, October 17, 2011

Sexism

It has been pointed out that I am being a little sexist and stereotyping men.  I think that is a fair criticism, at least of my writing.  So let me say that I dearly loved John, and I felt a deep click with Bobby that made me believe I could really love him, if he had wanted that.  Of course, when I write, there is a huge "in my experience" around everything I write, and I do not mean to imply that all 3 billion men are the same.

That said, I have worked to get rid of the "in my opinions" from my writing.  I sort of assume that everything anyone writes is that author's opinion, but I do think that women apologize and hedge in their writing by saying 'in my opinion,' 'I think,' and words like that.  I sort of assume that anyone reading this knows it is my opinion.

I should also say that if I didn't believe there were men different from the ones I've already met, I couldn't keep dating.  It my hope of meeting a man that has the intellectual and simpatico click that I had with both John and Bobby, who wants and is ready for a relationship and attracted to me that keeps me doing this.  And "this" is really hard sometimes.  And I am scared that the men that I would most want to spend real time with are already taken.  I'm aware that a lot of men see me as damaged goods because I'm single and over 40.  And I fear that men my age who are single may be single by choice.  But I stay present and work to stay open out of optimism (that is sometime more a choice than the result of rational analysis.)

It would be far easier to allow myself to become cynical and, well, get more cats (or whatever that is a metaphor for).


No comments: