Friday, October 21, 2011

Trivial Trust

I went to a 'scene' event.

So I get there and the nice lady says "$10."  And I say "I thought it was $8."  And she said "Oh, he changed it."  And I said "but it says eight dollars on the website"  And then I show her the current website on my phone.  And she said "He changed it.  We don't negotiate price."

It really pissed me off.  On one level, this is totally trivial.  What is $2?  I can't believe I left and went back to my hotel room over $2.  I wasted and evening in NYC over $2.

But here's the thing:  people in my vanilla life would never dream of doing something like that.  They'd be like "oh, we advertised it at $8.  Our mistake."  I just can't imagine another circumstance where people would advertise something to get people to the door at one price and then switch the price when they show up.

And, it feels to me that that basic level of trust is just missing from the kink world.  There's all this talk about SSC or RACK but I feel like some (not all, but some) people are saying "we reject societal conventions on sexuality, therefore all societal conventions are bad."  And I really need things like men being the age they say they are and sending pictures of themselves taking during the Obama administration and not the Clinton administration. I swear 2 men I've gone out with had pictures from the Bush administration.  George H.W. Bush! I want men to have a basic level of manners.  I want men who know the difference between "an" and "and" or "there" and "their."

On one level, this is all incredibly trivial.  What is $2?  Why not just pay the $2?  I'm spending more than that on the movie in my hotel room.  But on another level, believing that I can trust people to be who they say they are and do what they say they'll do is absolutely essential to me and there are too many people in the kink world that just don't.  It makes me wonder if they reject dental floss as too bourgeois

No comments: