Sunday, December 18, 2011

Art versus Entertainment, in time

It seems to me, the principle difference between art and entertainment is how it makes me experience time.

With entertainment (and I don't mean this term as a pejorative--there is some wonderful, wonderful entertainment out there), time speeds up and, if the entertainment is superlative, I fall into that world.  Harry Potter or The Lord of the Rings or Hugo, or Ship of Magic were all marvelous, and they all made time fly by.  Truth be told though, I do a lot of mediocre entertainment to pass the time.  NPR is mediocre entertainment.  It is wonderful if I'm cooking, but not so great if I'm playing a video game.

Art slows down my experience of time.  I don't lose myself in art the same way--it is a mirror that reflects back.

This last year, I have felt like time has been speeding up.  I've never noticed it so starkly before, and I wonder if I'm been having more entertainment and less art.  Reading this great novel, which I think is clearly art, has made the day expand and helped me find more time.  

I think maybe clearly my iPod of some of the podcasts I consume obsessively (but not that one.  And not that one either...) and listening to more of the Bs (Bach, Beethoven and Beatles) might make time slow down a bit.  

No comments: