Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Waiting for Lightening

I hate deus ex machinaes in art.  I don't mind them in the first 10 minutes of a play or the first 40 pages of a book, but I think if some act-of-god has to happen to conclude a story, the artist is being lazy or blocked or something.  Intellectually, I know people get hit by cars or win the lottery in real life, but I hate it when that happens in real life too!  (Although I will make an exception if Dotty wins the lottery--she buys about 6 tickets a year, and if she wins, she is giving me a million dollars upfront and 10K a year, and all she ever thinks about is who she'll give it away to.)

But here I am, waiting for a little deus ex machinae; I really want to fall in love with Nate.  I enjoy being with him. I really do.  We exchanged Christmas presents last night and had a lovely evening.  And we are talking a little more in depth.  He listens when I talk, but he never reveals his own vulnerability.  I have to believe it is there, but so far, I haven't see it.  Soon, I hope.

No comments: